Poor mental health and stress is common in the workplace. Preliminary research shows that Australian businesses lose over $6.5 billion each year by failing to provide early intervention/treatment for employees with mental health conditions. Clearly, the cost of ignoring the problem is far greater than the cost of developing and implementing strategies to properly manage employees’ mental health. Legal claims can also arise if employees’ mental health conditions are not managed well.
Join Belinda Winter, a partner in our workplace health relations and safety team, and a qualified Mental Health First Aid Trainer and Megan Pool, an associate in our workplace relations and safety team and a mental health first aider, for our complimentary workplace seminar for employers and managers, which will cover:
- a general overview of the prevalence of mental illness in Australia
- a basic understanding of potential types of mental illness that may be experienced in the workplace
- an employer’s legal obligation to protect employees from workplace stress under WHS legislation
- how to facilitate conversations about stress and mental health issues and how to have an ‘R U OK?’ conversation
- the workplace policies and wellbeing policies all employers should have and how to effectively implement them within your business
- considerations of reasonable adjustments for employees experiencing a mental health condition
- psychiatric injury and liability issues for employers
- recent case studies.
We hope you can join us.