Belinda is a partner in the workplace relations and safety team of Cooper Grace Ward specialising in employment, industrial relations, discrimination and safety law.
Belinda provides strategic advice to employers about various matters including restructures, enforcing restraints of trade, managing long term ill and injured employees, employee misconduct, poor performance and effecting termination of employment. She also provides assistance to clients in managing industrial issues such as enterprise bargaining, right of entry and industrial action.
Her work includes advising employers on policies and procedures to create strong cultures and safe workplaces. Where allegations of misconduct arise, including claims of discrimination, bullying or harassment, Belinda advises employers on their response to these claims and any disciplinary action required.
Belinda is experienced in conducting complex workplace investigations in response to safety related incidents, as well as providing advice to clients about safety compliance matters.
She is a sought-after speaker at professional conferences and a regular contributor to legal journals and publications specialising in employment law. Belinda also facilitates half-day training sessions on essential employment matters including employment agreements and policies, workplace investigations, management of ill and injured employees, and performance management.
Belinda is a qualified Mental Health First Aid Instructor and a committee member of the Queensland Law Society Wellness Committee. Given her employment law expertise and her training in mental health first aid, Belinda is frequently requested to speak at national employment conferences on the correlation between mental health and all facets of employment law including OH&S obligations, performance management and managing employees with mental health issues, amongst other matters.
Recognised as a leading lawyer by clients, peers and the wider market, Belinda has been listed in Best Lawyers Australia for Labour and Employment every year since 2013.
- Bachelor of Laws – Queensland University of Technology
- Bachelor of Business – Queensland University of Technology
- Solicitor – Supreme Court of Queensland
- Member – Queensland Law Society
- Member – Family Business Australia
- Member – Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Member – Australian Labour Law Association
- Member – Industrial Relations Society of Queensland
- Best Lawyers Australia (since 2013) – Labour and Employment Law and Occupational Health and Safety Law
Industrial relations and employment
- Developing and managing contractor arrangements for government and non-government enterprises and providing advice about transfer of business issues.
- Providing advice to a manufacturing client in relation to the implementation of a greenfields agreement and negotiations with the relevant union.
- Undertaking workplace investigations for government and non-government enterprises concerning harassment, bullying and other employee misconduct for a government owned corporation.
- Providing advice on enterprise bargaining and collective agreements for an infrastructure client.
- Assisting government and non-government enterprises manage underperforming employees and providing them with lawful strategies and options for employee exit.
- Assisting government and non-government enterprises restructure their operations and providing advice in relation to effecting redundancies and employee entitlements.
- Preparation of employment contracts, contractor agreements, policies and other employment documents.
- Advising a major airline and road transport client on strategies to response to protected industrial action.
- Advising and representing a major airline in relation to a right of entry dispute.
- Seeking orders from the Fair Work Commission to stop unprotected industrial action taken by members of the Transport Workers Union.
- Providing advice to many clients in relation to performance management, termination and redundancy of executive and non-executive employees.
- Assisting a client in the agriculture industry effect a major restructure, including developing a strategy and preparing all communications and successfully resolving disputed terminations.
- Providing assistance to many employers in managing long term ill and injured employees, including obtaining relevant medical information, managing under performance and rehabilitation concurrently and defending termination decisions if required.
- Advising clients in response to risks of discrimination or adverse action claims and defending any claims when they arise.
- Providing training to staff on workplace issues such as managing ill and injured employees, conducting a workplace investigation and performance management.
- Providing advice to clients when sexual harassment occurs in the workplace or in the provision of services, including managing the complaint, the application of workplace policies and practices and disciplinary matters.
Safety and regulatory
- Conducting and implementing occupational health and safety system reviews.
- Undertaking a safety investigation for an agriculture client following a fatal safety incident.
- Providing advice and training about workplace health and safety compliance to many of our clients including providing advice to directors and officers about individual liability.
- Assisting a gas client and a manufacturing client manage a department investigation and pending safety prosecution following a safety incident.
- Assisting a transport client defend a safety prosecution resulting from a fatality.
- Assisting many clients in relation to union concerns about workplace health and safety, dispute resolution procedures and change management.
- Acting for a number of clients in the Anti-Discrimination Commission, the Australian Human Rights Commission and the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal defending complaints concerning discrimination in employment and the provision of services.
- Drafting policies and guidelines for our clients to achieve compliance.
- Assisting clients obtain necessary medical information to make employment decisions and providing advice to them about fitness for work.
- Providing training to clients in relation to managing long term ill and injured employees.
- ‘Director personally liable for WHS incident and directors duties under the new WHS laws’, Keeping good companies, May 2012.
- ‘Getting to grips with modern awards’, Accounting Technician, October 2011.