As a senior associate in Cooper Grace Ward’s litigation, dispute and resolution team, Emma has extensive experience in court matters (at both state and federal level), advocacy, negotiation and alternative dispute resolution including in large complex multi-party disputes. Emma has acted for a wide range of clients including insurers, corporations and private clients relating to both local and international disputes.
Emma has particular interest and expertise in professional liability matters and has acted for a wide range of professionals (such as solicitors, accountants, engineers and town planners) in litigating and advising on complex commercial disputes.
- acting for a firm of solicitors in defending a $40 million claim for misleading and deceptive conduct brought by the responsible entity of a managed investment scheme in the Federal Court of Australia
- acting in an international arbitration of a multimillion-dollar joint venture dispute in Papua New Guinea relating to a hotel complex development
- acting for a large Australian insurer in negotiating an advantageous settlement of a claim in excess of $20 million against a firm of engineers relating to the alleged negligent design of large industrial buildings based at the Brisbane Airport
- acting in various litigated actions on behalf of an agent relating to the sale and delivery up of cattle in North Queensland that involved allegations of misleading and deceptive conduct and negligent misrepresentation
- advising a body corporate and its international insurer on potential claims arising out of a catastrophic fire to a large multi-story development on the Gold Coast
- defending a Supreme Court claim against an accountant in relation to alleged misrepresentation arising out of the sale of a group of businesses.
Qualifications, memberships and recognition
Bachelor of Laws – University of Queensland
Solicitor – Supreme Court of Queensland and High Court of Australia
Member of Australian Professional Indemnity Group