Mali Karunaratne is a Senior Associate in Cooper Grace Ward’s litigation and dispute resolution group.
Mali is an experienced dispute resolution lawyer and has advised clients in a broad range of matters that have involved contractual disputes, directors’ duties, oppression and shareholder disputes, bankruptcy, corporate insolvency, trustee and fiduciary issues, misleading and deceptive conduct, product liability, administrative law, regulatory actions, class actions, real property disputes, building disputes, defamation, professional negligence and disputes involving unincorporated associations.
As well as having worked in the litigation and dispute resolution group in law firms in Sydney and Brisbane, Mali has worked in a ‘Big 4’ global accounting firm. He has also worked as an in-house lawyer in a large business group in South East Asia and as an assistant to a number of judges in the UK Royal Courts of Justice.
Mali has been involved in the successful resolution of commercial disputes of various types, including large and novel matters, through commercial settlements, trial and appellate litigation.
- Bachelor of Laws (Honours) – Macquarie University
- Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting) – Macquarie University
- Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice (Distinction) – The College of Law
- Solicitor – Supreme Courts of Queensland and New South Wales
- Solicitor – High Court of Australia
Involved in the successful representation of interests in varied matters, including, for example, the interest of clients in:
- high value land development disputes;
- a successful High Court appeal involving issues of statutory illegality: Gnych v Polish Club Limited  255 CLR 414 (2015);
- regulatory actions in the competition and consumer, education and aged care spaces;
- a government commission of inquiry;
- corporate and personal insolvency scenarios;
- intellectual property disputes.