Sam is a partner in Cooper Grace Ward’s corporate and commercial advisory team.
Sam has developed a broad range of experience working as a lawyer in Australia and the United Kingdom, and as a board director, general counsel and CEO.
Sam has specialised expertise in the sports, wagering / gaming, technology, real estate and aviation industries.
Drawing on his broad business experience, Sam is engaged as a strategic business adviser to many of our clients’ boards and senior management teams, helping them to grow, assess opportunities and protect their businesses.
Sam has practical experience dealing with regulators and government agencies, and has acted for a wide range of clients including the State Government, sporting bodies, wagering companies, technology companies, local government agencies, banks, airlines, developers and property funds on commercial law matters.
Corporate and commercial
- Providing strategic and legal advice to boards on legal issues affecting businesses
- Drafting and negotiating broadcast rights agreements
- Drafting and negotiating wagering agreements (including developing race information fee structures and the conditions that apply to wagering operators)
- Developing sports integrity structures
- Providing corporate governance training and advice
- Responding to government-initiated inquiries
- Business continuity planning
- Crisis management
- Undertaking due diligence investigations and providing advice for merger and acquisition transactions.
- Cyber security
- Advising businesses on data breach protocols and privacy law requirements
- Developing and testing Law Tech platforms.
- Drafting transaction documentation for the sale or leasing of property
- Advising on property development structures.
- Undertaking due diligence investigations and providing advice for real estate transactions
- Advising on land resumption matters.
Aviation and project finance
- Drafting transaction documentation for the sale, leasing or financing of aircraft
- Acting for banks and aircraft owning entities on aircraft securitisation transactions.
- Undertaking due diligence investigations for the sale or purchase of airline businesses, infrastructure and major assets.
Bachelor of Laws (Honours) – Griffith University
Bachelor of Commerce (Accountancy, Banking and Finance) – Griffith University
Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice – Griffith University
Solicitor – Supreme Court of Queensland and the High Court of Australia
Solicitor – England and Wales
Graduate of the Australian Institute of Company Directors